Tempe, AZ Cyber weaving enthusiasts, the wait is over. It’s online weaving class time again. This time, we’ll start on September 12th, with additional class sessions on September 19th and 26th. Then, we’ll take a one week break on October 3rd (but you can check in with the class in Window Rock) and have a session on October 10th and we’ll finish on October 17th. This time, the earlier session (at 2 PM EDT, 1 PM CDT, 12 Noon MDT and 11 PM PDT) will be reserved for students who are beginners in Navajo weaving techniques or who just want to start from scratch. The later session (at 4:30 PM EDT, 3:30 PM CDT, 2:30 PM MDT and 1:30 PM PDT will be for students who feel competent with their basic weaving and would like to build on that knowledge.
Here’s the syllabus for the beginning class:
- Week one: warping a Navajo style loom
- Week two: basic weaving techniques and stripe weaves
- Week three: the turned join and diagonal lines
- Week four: continuation of diagonals and the interlock join
- Week five: finishing technique
Click here to register for the Beginner Class.
The intermediate class will cover:
- Week one: warping larger pieces, use of side selvage cords, loom modifications to support larger pieces
- Week two: planning larger designs, gaining control over design execution, sectional weaving
- Week three: problem solving with larger pieces and increasing graphic impact with outlining and color
- Week four: introduction to raised outline
- Week five: introduction to wedge weaves
Click here to register for the Intermediate Class.
Students need to have access to a computer with a web cam, microphone and a high speed Internet connection. The charge for either class is $75 and includes access to online materials and a private page here on the web site for the duration of the class so that it’s easy to post pictures and communicate with me or other classmates. If you are wondering if your computer is up the challenge, you can contact me so that we can set up a test session before the class starts or before you register.
I’m also pleased to let you know that Jennie Slick and I are doing four hour classes once a month at the Quality Inn in Window Rock. These are open to anyone and run from 5 PM to 9 PM Mountain Daylight Time. The fee for each session is $15. You can register online or on the night of the class, but it’s really helpful if you let us know that you’ll be there and what you’re hoping to learn at the session. Our session for September is scheduled for the evening of the 16th. At least one of the students will be working with a diamond twill weave. If can’t make it in September, we are planning to continue holding these classes on the second Thursday of each month, the evening before the Crownpoint Rug Auction.
Hagoshíí (so long for now)